[Wien] Error in Fermi surface for GGA+U+SOC calculations

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Fri Aug 17 09:21:42 CEST 2018

Does your structure for this SO+U case allow a shifted k-mesh [1]? If
so, make sure during "x kgen" that you selected the non-shifted k-mesh
as the XCrySDen website [2] says:

"File-->Open WIEN2k ...-->Fermi Surface Pops-up a task window for Fermi
surface creation. After several steps the Fermi surface is hopefully
drawn as 3D isosurface. This feature is EXPERIMENTAL, please be careful
!!! So far it was tested on a few spin non-polarized and spin-polarized
systems. (Currently the *shift of the k-mesh is not allowed*.)"

As I recall, serial case.outputso file used with the XCrySDen fermi
surface program ran fine [3].  So likely it will run fine too when the
parallel outputso files are combined:

cat case.outputso_1 case.outputso_2 ... > case.output1up

Previously, you mentioned that SO (without U) ran fine.  I would
anticipate differences in values in the files, but likely formatting of
the files would be the same.  Have you compared the formatting of
case.output1up file between the SO (without U) and SO+U calculations.
Any differences?

XCrySDen 1.5.60 might have to patched if you are using too many k-points
or bands [5, 6].

Any error messages in the file case.outputbaup?

If you need further help, can you send a link to the SO+U files for the
case below to the mailing list (or to my personal email)?  I believe at
least the files case.struct, case.klist, case.clmdn, case.outputkgen,
and case.output1up are needed to open and execute "Render Fermi Surface"
in XCrySDen.

[1] http://susi.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/reg_user/faq/kgen.html
[2] http://www.xcrysden.org/doc/wien.html#fermi
[3]