[Wien] Dense mesh calculation

pluto pluto at physics.ucdavis.edu
Sat Aug 18 13:07:57 CEST 2018

Dear All, dear Prof. Blaha,

I used SUPWF in case.in1c to limit the size of output files.

Then I used:

x lapw1 -band -up -p -c
x lapw1 -band -dn -p -c
x lapwso -up -p -c

There are no errors, but lapwso does not seem to calculate eigenvalues.

I use 4 parallel cores, so I have 4 output files. Output files without
SOC look OK, they contain eigenvalues (files case.output1up_1 to 4, same
for dn).  But SOC output files (outputso_1 to 4) do not contain any
eigenvalues, and I don't see any other output files.

Am I doing something wrong? Manual in Table 4.3 says that lapwso needs
vector files, which are of course missing here. Is there a way out?

Also, is there a way to automatically "glue" output files to have just
one large output file?

Best,
Lukasz

On 6/1/2018 3:39 PM, Peter Blaha wrote:
>> It seems that case.energy files (energyup/dn, energysoup) are not
>> printed when using SUPWF option. Is that correct? Do I need to read
>> eigenvalues from case.output files?
>
> Yes.
>

>> I have another question:
>> Can I limit the energy range when calculating bands for dense k-point
>> mesh (e.g. only get eigenvalues near the Fermi level)? Will it
>> increase the speed per k-point?
>
> Try it out for a few k-points. There is a substantial difference when
> using all eigenvalues against the commonly used 10-20 percent, but the
> improvement is probably small when reducing it "a bit". Definitely,
> some steps in the diagonalization are independent on the number of
> eigenvalues.
>

>> Regards,
>> Lukasz
>>

>> On 5/15/2018 10:55 AM, Peter Blaha wrote:
>>> You can avoid the vector file by an option in case.in1. See UG

Dr. Lukasz Plucinski