[Wien] A way to evaluate if minimization without SO is correct ?

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Tue Dec 4 17:12:22 CET 2018

Two alternatives:

a) For directions where you do not have inversion symmetry, the sum of the
forces with a well converged calculation should be zero. You can use this
to estimate from the force of the light atoms what those on the heavy atoms
have to be.

b) Using clmextrapol (which is very efficient), calculate the forces by
applying small displacements (finite differences).

A third option is to add a non-derivative optimizer to PORT, but this would
require some real work.

--
Professor Laurence Marks
else has thought", Albert Szent-Gyorgi