[Wien] A way to evaluate if minimization without SO is correct ?

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Dec 4 17:16:51 CET 2018

Yes, this is the best way you can do.

In that way you even get the "indirect" spin-orbit effect on the light
elements correct and often one can hope, that when the forces on all
other atoms are small, also the force on the single heavy element will
be small.

If there is only one heavy element and it is maybe even at a position
with only one free parameter ?, this can be optimized using E-tot alone,
by manually moving this atom a bit, then constrain it and optimize the
others, and compare E-tot. But it might be numerically quite noisy ...
and becomes impossible for more heavy atoms, ....