[Wien] Qestion about DOS results

Fecher, Gerhard fecher at uni-mainz.de
Wed Dec 12 08:31:43 CET 2018

please read
Y. Yun et al; Phys Rev B 83 , 075109 (2011)
the authors found a ferromagnetic state for alpha U3O8 with moment at only one of the U atoms,
however, they also remarked that experiments resultes always in a paramagnetic state.

However this was for a particular structure of U3O8, and there is not only one but several, you don't ever tell which one you use ?
In Yun's paper the b lattice parameter (7.2 AA) is overestimated by 10% compared to the experiment (6.7 AA),

My experience tells: if one uses LDA+U, one can make everything ferromagnetic, even Alkali metals
therefore you should take the comment of Laurence Marks very serious ("Also, I suggest some care with +U for f's. At least for the 4f +U over-localizes them.")

PS.: you might need to create a suitable cell to check for antiferromagnetic order, as you have actually only 3 U atoms in the cell
otherwise you may end up with some ferrimagnet (again i instead of o)

Ciao
Gerhard

Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher
Johannes Gutenberg - University