[Wien] Qestion about DOS results

pieper pieper at ifp.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Dec 12 14:12:18 CET 2018

My two cents on the FAQ of Shayam:

> Can I conclude FM for my system?

Recall what you may find in your favorite textbook on magnetism about
the definitions of para-, dia, non-, ferro-, antiferro-, ferri-, heli-,
and whatsoever-magnetic. I think the textbook will say something similar

DM: When set into an inhomogeneous magnetic field the material
experiences a force in the direction of LOWER field. As an alternative
it might say that the average magnetic field flux density in the
material is smaller than outside. (field is pushed out of a
superconductor, frogs can levitate in inhomogeneous magnetic field).

PM: When set into an inhomogeneous magnetic field the material
experiences a force in the direction of LARGER field. Alternaatively,
the magnetic field flux density in the material is LARGER than outside
(magnetic shield materials pull the magnetic field in, clearing some
volume outside)

NM: A perfect balance of the two - EVERYWHERE in the material. Exists
only in textbooks and in DFT-programs like Wien2k, where equal density
of spin-up and -down electrons may be assumed to simplify calculations.
The nearest thing nature provides are materials where a diamagnetic
response of one part of the electrons cancels a paramagnetic response
from another part. That occurs only at a certain temperature and applied
field, and only for the overall response, not everyhwere on a local
scale.

Note that these three are defined by (linear) response in some applied
field - something you usually don't calculate in DFT! This NM-thing is
just an abbreviation for 'I wanted to save computing time so I told the
program to ignore spin'. This may or may not be a good idea - it depends
on what property of which material one is interested in.

The other forms of magnetism may be defined by appearance of a
spontaneous magnetization. The spin resolved electronic density breaks
the symmetry between up and down spins somewhere, and WITHOUT a field
being applied. This is much easier to do in (spin resolved) DFT.

The cases are distinguished by the distribution of the magnetic moments
in real space:

FM: All spontaneous moments are parallel. Notice what Lyudmila pointed
out: in both, DFT and real materials there will be local diamagnetic
response of some electrons coupling to this spontaneous magnetization.
The electrons are, after all, NOT independent. Strictly speaking this
corresponds to (usually very small) moments pointing in the opposite
direction. I am not aware of a rigorous procedure to distinguish small
spontaneous moments from induced ones in DFT, but definitely would be
interested.

AFM: For each spontaneous moment at point r in the structure pointing in
one direction there is one at a symmetry related position with exactly
the same size and pointing in the opposite direction.

FerriM: All spontaneous moments are collinear, but not of the same size.
This is the most general case standard Wien2k can handle. Notice what
Gerhard and Lyudmila pointed out: The structural basis used in the
calculation must support the magnetic structure one wants to check. No
DFT program will tell you anything about electronic structures not
compatible with the symmtry of the structure file.

HeliM: Non-collinear arrangements of spontaneous moments, for example
umbrella structures of 4f-moments in rare-earth insulators, or helical
spin density waves in metals. The unsupported Wien-NCM might help with
such a case.

Notice that the definitions refer to moemnts in real space while the
valid quantum numbers of the electronic states are in k-space. There is
usually considerable ambiguity in assigning an electron to some atom in
the structure. Maybe this works for some 4f-moments with practically all
their density within the RMT. For a metal such an assignement obviously
can become problematic pretty fast.

To identify FM as the magnetic ground state in DFT you will have to
compare calculated total energies of various magnetic structures. If in
your case only one U-atom in the crystalografic unit cell of U3O8
carries a sizeable spontaneous moment, then in a calculation based on a
single unit cell only PM (no sizeable spontaneous moment in sight) or FM
are possible.

Within a single unit cell you might try to find AFM solutions by
following Lyudmilas advice: initialize with a sizeable moment in various
orientations on all three U-atoms and look what the SCF-cycle does with
them. They may all converge to solutions with just one sizeable moment
remaining. I gather that this seems to be the case, but I am not sure if
you really tried starting from different initial magnetic structures.

As Gerhard pointed out some favorable AFM (or FerriM) structure may be
found when sticking with this single magnetic U, but doubling
(multiplying) the unit cell and pointing the moment the opposite way in
the second unit cell. However, this becomes computationaly expensive
pretty fast ...

Good luck,

Martin Pieper

---