[Wien] EFG: theory Vs experiment for a case

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Dec 18 21:06:41 CET 2018

The presence of an EFG and of a non-zero eta is first of all a symmetry
property.

If you get in exp eta=0.5, but in theory eta=0.0 (by symmetry ?), it
simply means that the Hf impurity in PAC is not at the same position or
does not have the same environment than the Hf in your simulations.

In other words: you seem to have placed the Hf on a "high symmetry"
site, while in experiment it is sitting somewhere else.

Depending on the treatment of the sample (tempering after Hf
implantation) this ion may sit on various places in the cell.

You did not say anything how you simulate the impurity. Why a 3x2x2
supercell (for a cubic cell ???) ? Where is it sitting, did you fully
relax the positions, ... ??

PS: Please use the EFG/eta from the scf file.
The x lapw2 -efg is just an option for interpretation and analysis, from
which orbitals the main components of the EFG originates.