[Wien] EFG: theory Vs experiment for a case

pieper pieper at ifp.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Dec 19 12:40:58 CET 2018

As an addendum to previous comments by the experts I strongly recommend
to always ask (and answer) yourself the question:
what symmetries does the experimental result imply, and what symmetries
are present in my model?

You state that samples prepared in a precedure 'where synthetic
parameters can be controlled' (whatever that means) 'shows STO with
probe showing very pure HFI'. I take it that TDPACS finds Hf in a unique
environment. All of the spectra is accounted for by a single value
abs(V_zz)=1.69e21 v/m^2, eta=0.52? No (sizeable) broadening, no other
lines from different EFG's?

In that case:

1) Whatever model you set up in case.struct, your Hf-site MUST NOT have
a threefold (or higher) rotation symmetry in its point symmetry group
(check outputs of structure initialzation programs).

2) Your structure (with your defect of the day) should have a
significantly lower total energy than other possibilities - otherwise a
superposition of the corresponding spectra is expected.

Up to now your calculations without neighboring oxygen defects seem to
be useless because you did not take into account the first point. With
respect to the second point I am very dubious about your calculations
assuming oxygen defects in some neighborhood. Some Hf-vacancy pair may
have a calculated EFG resembling the experimental one. But in an
unrelaxed structure this is meaningless. And even if you insist to take
something like that serious, you will have to come up with a really good
reason why that special defect structure is the only one present in your
sample!

Looking at your result that the artificial V_zz from your unrelaxed
3x2x2 supercell already has the same size as the experimental one I
strongly suspect that you will get a pretty good simulation of the
experimental result by some very small rearrangement of atoms in the
nearest, at most the next neighbor shell - WITHOUT oxygen vacany. Put Hf
on a Ti-site and really DO a relaxation. Start it from a structure with
appropriate (low) point symmetry at Hf. (shift some neighboring atom(s)
a tiny bit out of symmetry in some plausible direction).

And remember, EFG is short range - from my experience even a 2x2x2
supercell may give you a good idea what happens.

---
Dr. Martin Pieper
Karl-Franzens University
Institute of Physics