[Wien] EFG: theory Vs experiment for a case

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Dec 19 17:11:06 CET 2018

Most important is the minimization of the forces !!!!

When Hf substitutes Ti, the O-atoms around it will slightly relax; but
in particular when you simulate a O-vacancy, unrelaxed calculations are
meaningless.   The EFG is usually EXTREMELY sensitive to the exact
positions of atoms. (and I don't understand your argument about "basic
lattice was already optimized ?? In cubic SrTiO3 there is NOTHING to
optimize.)

I definitely would go to a "cubic supercell". Use first a 2x2x2 cell,
and once you have results, you check your supercell size with 3x3x3.

Forget "correlation", at least at the moment.

You may reduce RMT of Sr, but don't reduce Ti (Hf) RMTs. Otherwise you
would have to increase RKMAX ....

You can reduce the cpu-time a lot by doing the relaxation of forces
first with RKmax 5.5 (or 6) and only VERY few k-points, and only once it
is relaxed, increase RKmax and k-mesh, continue the relaxation (if
necessary - when forces are bigger again).

As was mentioned before, you can already see after   x symmetry  if the
asymmetry parameter eta is zero (only a "2 0" term in the LM list) or
can be non-zero (2 2 and/or 2 1 terms).

I'd expect that for eta=0.5 you would need a "complicated" defect (low
symmetry). As mentioned before, this defect would need to be
energetically favorable, as compared to others.

I don't know if one can trust eta from the PAC results ?