[Wien] Error while running the command ./siteconfig_lapw during installation of WIEN2k code

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Sat Jan 20 07:23:07 CET 2018

In the terminal, type the command [1]: locale

Is LC_NUMERIC set to en_US.UTF-8?  If Linux is installed with a language
other than English, the WIEN2k scripts like siteconfig_lapw sometimes
don't run properly.

The "if: Expression Syntax" can happen if one side of the operator in an
if statement is passed a bad value [2].  The siteconfig_lapw has many if
statements.  So you should try to narrow down which of the if statements
is causing your particular issue:

After running ./siteconfig_lapw, check the terminal to see if it shows
anything before or after the "if: Expression Syntax" error, because any
input or output that occurs at that time should help pinpoint where the
problem occurs.  If nothing is shown in the terminal, you could also try
to get more information so that you could troubleshoot the problem by
using the verbose switch (-v) with the script [3]; for example using a
terminal command while in the $WIENROOT directory [4,5]:

csh -v siteconfig_lapw

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Locale
[2]
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/programming-9/if-expression-syntax-error-in-csh-if-statement-4175412232/