[Wien] Spontaneous polarization of PbTiO3

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Tue May 8 03:04:45 CEST 2018

In the BaTiO3 tutorial, lambda1.struct and lambda0.struct both have
spacegroup 99_P4mm and 8 symmetry operations [
https://github.com/spichardo/BerryPI/wiki/Tutorial-1:-Spontaneous-Polarization-in-BaTiO3
].

I see a sentence in the tutorial:

/The symmetry operations are identical (!) to the lambda1 case, in spite
of a higher symmetry of the lambda0 structure./

Perhaps that is the sentence that another user got that the symmetry
might need to remain the same [
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg16112.html
].

The tet1.struct has spacegroup 99_P4mm, while cubic.struct has
spacegroup 221_Pm3m.

According to the tutorial:

/8. Spontaneous polarization is obtained by taking a difference in
polarization between P(lambda1) and P(lambda0)/ -> Difference between
tet1 and cubic for the PbTiO3 case?

For PbTiO3, is it okay that there are "8 NUMBER OF SYMMETRY OPERATIONS"
in cubic.struct and "48 NUMBER OF SYMMETRY OPERATIONS" in tet1.struct
for the spontaneous polarization calculation?