[Wien] 'ifort' and 'mkl libraries

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Fri May 18 06:32:34 CEST 2018

Just installed WIEN2k 17.1 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS using Intel Fortran
Composer XE 2013 (ifort version 14.0.1).

It didn't seem too bad.  I had to make a few adjustments when following
Intel's instructions at:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-intel-compilers-for-linux-with-ubuntu

After a fresh install of Ubuntu 18.04 using a "Normal" (not the minimal)
installation, I had to run:

sudo apt update

Had to install typically packages needed for WIEN2k like:

sudo apt install tcsh ghostscript octave gnuplot

To remove, the "No compatible python found", I had to install python 2.7
(since python3 is now installed instead as the default) using:

sudo apt install python

To remove, the "32-bit libraries not found", I just deselected the
32-bit Fortran to tell it not to install it on the 64-bit OS.  Or maybe
that could also still be resolved using "sudo apt install ia32-libs",
but I didn't try it.

The "missing system commands", I was able to resolve using the same
commands given in Intel's instructions:

sudo apt install build-essential gcc-multilib rpm

I encountered a "No compatible JAVA Runtime Environment (JRE) found".
Instead of "apt-get install openjdk-6-jre-headless", I had to use:

sudo apt install default-jre-headless

The JAVA error does not go away, but with the default-jre-headless
installed, I just ignored (skipped) the prerequisite and continued.
Everything appeared to go smoothly.

I added the one single source line to my .bashrc following the
instructions at:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/setting-up-the-build-environment-for-using-intel-c-or-fortran-compilers

In other words, the:

source <path-to>/compilervars.sh intel64

where <path-to> on my system was:

/opt/intel/composerxe/bin

Installed autoconf and libtool for installing libxc:

sudo apt install autoconf libtool

Installed libxc based on the instructions at

https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg15254.html

but used instead the new libxc 4.1.1 at
http://octopus-code.org/wiki/Libxc:download

I did the usually steps for a serial install:

tar -xvf WIEN2k_17.1.tar
gunzip *.gz
chmod +x ./expand_lapw
./expand_lapw
Installed some patches [
https://github.com/gsabo/WIEN2k-Patches/tree/master/17.1 ]
./siteconfig_lapw
    For MPI, ScaLAPACK, ELPA, or FFTW, typed N and pressed enter
./userconfig_lapw
w2web

Finally, a quick test was ran with the TiC example in the userguide,
which seems to have finished without any problems:

username at computername:~$ cd ~/wiendata/TiC
username at computername:~/wiendata/TiC$ ls
TiC.struct
username at computername:~/wiendata/TiC$ init_lapw -b
init_lapw finished ok
username at computername:~/wiendata/TiC$ run_lapw
in cycle 11 ETEST: .0004762050000000 CTEST: .010728
LAPW0 END
LAPW1 END
LAPW2 END
CORE END
MIXER END
ec cc and fc_conv 1 1 1
 > stop

So the 2018 ifort version, one would hope, should install with even less
problems.  Though with the 2013 ifort version, it might be why I haven't
encountered myself the I/O chaos [
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg17023.html
].