[Wien] (no subject)

Fecher, Gerhard fecher at uni-mainz.de
Wed May 23 13:51:53 CEST 2018

Dear Sudipta,
then you will need to do calculations with spin orbit interaction
take care that the quantiisation axis in case.inso is the same as the magnetisation direction in case.inorb

if you like to have different angles then you may start to rotate the direction of the quantisation axis and field (I do not know whether it accepds real numbers)

Most probably you need the band dispersions in the full Brillouin zone (and not just in the irreducible wedge), but this may depend on the program for which you need the Wien2k data.

note that the symmetry is not changed when you purely use a B field in case.inorb

Usually both, the current and the magnetisation will change the symmetry, unfortunately not in the same way, as the current is a Cartesian vector and the magnetisation a pseudovector.

Please remember also that the magnetisation of a spin polarized calculation results already in the fully magnetized state, that corresponds to an experiment where the sample is fully saturated.
This state is not much influenced when you apply "technical" filelds (say up to 10T) but to see some effect you may need fields above 100 T (that are most probably not even reached in any high field laboratory)

In the experiment, however, your magnetisation changes with the field until it is saturated becaus of movement and rotation of magnetic domains (for example),
however, in the calculation you do not have something like magnetic domains that you influence by the B field.
Therefore, I guess that the use of a B-field in orb is may be not what you intend to do.

With spin orbit interaction the B field should have some effect similar to a Zeeman splitting.

Finally, you should read the book 'Electrons and Phonons'  of Ziman.

Ciao
Gerhard

Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher
Johannes Gutenberg - University