[Wien] Fermi surface not 4 fold symmetric for a cubic material with space group Pm3m

Anup Shakya npshakya31 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 12:37:59 CET 2018

Dear Prof Blaha,

I have performed non magnetic spin polarized calculations using
runsp_c_lapw -orb. I have not shifted the k-mesh for FS calculations. I
couldn't use the command x kgen -so for FS calculations as I got the
following error.
forrtl: severe (24): end of file during read, unit 20, file/case.ksym
error command: /home/kbmaiti/wien2k/kgen kgen.def failed.
So I used x kgen 30000 kpoints no shift
x lapw1 - up
x lapwso
cp case.outputso case.output1
x lapw2 - so - fermi
I don't think there is any problem with the FS calculations as it is
matching with the bandstructure calculations. The only problem is the
lowering of the symmetry with SOC from 48 to 16 number of symmetry
operations though the structure is still cubic for magnetization direction
along 0 0 1 axis. Due to this lowering of symmetry the band structure plot
along G-X and X-G is different. But experimentally if one measures the
bandstructure or the FS of this material it should be the same because
experimentally the structure is cubic. So my question is whether non
magnetic spin polarized calculations with U and SOC is at all reliable to
match or analyze the experimental results. The only reason for doing non
magnetic spin polarized calculations was to take into account the strong
correlation of R 4f states. I am confused. Please clarify.

Sincerely,
Anup Pradhan Sakhya