[Wien] The new method of optimizing the internal parameter

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Mon Oct 15 16:30:49 CEST 2018

There is in my opinion no "right" method. The question is what are you
trying to do?

Case 1: A structure with fixed positions or a problem where you "don't
care" about minor forces, e.g. calculating a simple bulk structure. Then
just "runsp -cc 0.0001 -ec 0.0001" is fine. (I prefer to use -cc as well as
the default -ec).

Case 2: A simple structure where there might be minor forces that you do
care about. Then something like "runsp -cc 0.0001 -ec 0.0001 -fc 1" first
and check the forces. Iff they are too large for you, then "save -f -d
PreMin ; runsp -cc 0.001 -ec 0.0001 -min" or similar.

Case 3: A more complex structure where you know the positions are not quite
right. I suggest using something like
runsp -cc 0.01 -ec 0.1 -fc 4
save -f -d PreMin
runsp -cc 0.001 -ec 0.0001 -fc 1 -min

This avoids converging too much at first when you know the result won't be
right until the internal minimization has been done. In addition, MSR1a
often works better when started from a partial minimization where the
density and pseudo-charges are somewhat converged. For a large problem add
"-noHinv", I have had problems with -min and -it in the past.

--
Professor Laurence Marks
else has thought", Albert Szent-Gyorgi