[Wien] Effect of spin-orbit coupling on half metal

Fecher, Gerhard fecher at uni-mainz.de
Wed Jan 30 14:35:50 CET 2019

With spin orbit interaction you can not distinguish the band structure for spin up and down
however, you still vcan calculate the density of states for the two spin directions
(was discussed several times in the forum)

Your band structure with spin orbit structure might therfore be similar
to a plot where you include the spin up and down band structures at once when calculated without spin orbit interaction.
Note: they should be similar but not the same, and some additional splittings may appear,
also the band structure with spin orbit interaction will depend on the direction of magnetisation that you assume.)

Ciao
Gerhard

Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher
Johannes Gutenberg - University