[Wien] Hardware for Wien2k ver. 19

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Sat Jul 20 22:41:16 CEST 2019

What memory and hard drive(s) did you select?

- Getting more RAM should increase the capability of doing WIEN2k
calculations (of structures with more atoms) [1], but you have to decide
if the additional cost is attainable or worthwhile to you or not.

- SSD (solid state drive) as 1st hard drive I believe is preferred these
days for the installation drive of Linux, WIEN2k, and for WIEN2k
calculations (also is the recommendation given for Spartan'18 on its
website [2]).  The flash memory of SSD is known to have faster data read
than HDD (hard disk drive).  SSD is known to have slower data write than
its own data read, but the data write might be faster or comparable to
that of the HDD.  Look for drive having more buffer cache as this may be
reducing that bottleneck of slower data write [3].  The flash of SSD
breaks down over time [4], such that after many years you might notice
capacity of the drive shrink as the memory storage cells fail. HDD does
not have that problem since it uses a magnetic disk instead of flash
cell.  However, the mechanical read/write head of HDD can sometimes
break causing it to fail sooner than a SSD.  SSD tends to have lower
capacity (higher cost per bit) than a HDD. Therefore, a low RPM HDD
(e.g., 5,400 RPM) I would recommend as 2nd hard drive for data storage
of completed WIEN2k calculation files.  If you decided to go with a HDD
for the 1st hard drive, I suggest trying to get a higher performance
high RPM HDD (e.g., 10,000 RPM) for that.

Does your 'other uses' require the "Nvidia Quadro RTX4000" or do you
need it for its VGA support [5] for hooking up to your monitor?

The Dell website [6] lists the following for me:

AMD Single
Radeon Pro WX 7100, 8GB, 4DP (7X20T) Included in price
Radeon Pro WX 9100, 16GB, 6 mDP to DP adapter XX20T + $1,174.88

nVIDIA Single
Nvidia Quadro RTX4000, 8GB, 3DP, VirtualLink (XX20T) + $545.85
Nvidia Quadro RTX5000, 16GB, 4DP, VirtualLink (XX20T) + $1,529.22
Nvidia Quadro RTX6000, 24GB, 4DP, VirtualLink (XX20T) + $4,347.94
NVIDIA® Quadro® P2000, 5GB, 4 DP (7X20T) + $55.22
NVIDIA® Quadro® P4000, 8GB, 4 DP (7X20T) + $336.18

If you have or are getting a monitor with DisplayPort 1.4, the lower end
"Radeon Pro WX 7100" [7] would likely work fine for WIEN2k and would
save you $545.85.

I haven't noticed WIEN2k requiring much for graphics.  Usually, the
modern lower end integrated graphics ports on personal computers have
worked fine.  I haven't had to use higher end dedicated graphic cards
like the Nvidia Quadro or Radeon Pro.

It's the visualization programs that you use for WIEN2k that you will
likely want to look into.  For example, if you use VESTA, its manual [8]
has:

Video RAM: 16 MB or more is desirable.
Video card: A graphics card capable of hardware acceleration of the
OpenGL instruction set is recommended.
Display: A minimum resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels with ca. 65,000
orca. 16.7 million colors.

Or are you getting the Nvidia Quadro RTX4000 because you plan to modify
the WIEN2k code yourself to make it do calculations with CUDA [9]?  If
so, the datasheet [5] shows 2304 CUDA cores. That looks significant
compared to the NVIDIA Quadro P2000 having 1024 CUDA cores [10].

[1] http://susi.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/hard+soft/index.html
[2] https://www.wavefun.com/spartan
[3]
https://superuser.com/questions/309613/do-solid-state-disks-ssds-have-a-buffer-cache