[Wien] lapw2c tries to read an anomalous amount of data

Luc Fruchter luc.fruchter at u-psud.fr
Thu Jul 25 19:43:28 CEST 2019

I was however intrigued by this heavy load of the system, with very
little CPU use (which means unefficient computation).

Actually, lapw2 routines are still blocked for some I/O most of the
time. This I/O is however no longer a physical reading from the hard
disk (and so does not show up in the observation of the disk activity,
as reported above): these routines spend most of their time reading from
the .vector files (known from a strace command), but this must have been
cached in the memory, this time. In my case, the .vector files are ~ 9
Gb large.