[Wien] Where am I making mistake in LDA+U MAE calculation

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Jun 11 16:29:00 CEST 2019

Definitely, MAE calculations should ALWAYS be done with ONE struct file
of lowest symmetry (eventually in P1) to avoid any possible biases.

Usually initso will change your struct file and reduce symmetry. Take
the reduced symmetry file and put another magnetization direction.
Repeat such that at the end no further symmetry change appears in any of
your desired directions.

With this struct file do a non-SO calculation with -orb (PS: You should
NEVER use   -orb right after init_lapw, but always converge first with
GGA, then create new dmatup/dn files (x lapwdm -up/dn); save and then
continue with -orb.

Obviously, LDA+U can lead to different (meta-stable) solutions and then
a comparison of total energies is not possible.