[Wien] [EXTERNAL] Re: Where am I making mistake in LDA+U MAE calculation

Parker, David S. parkerds at ornl.gov
Tue Jun 11 16:58:08 CEST 2019

I would add to Peter's comments that generally, for a 2D hexagonal system (such as SmFe5)
The struct file to use is the one given by initso (and symmetso) for a planar orientation of the
Moments - I usually use (110).  A similar comment applies to a tetragonal system; for rhombohedral
I use (1,-1,0) (note that in these rhombohedral coordinates the c-axis is (111)).  For a cubic case
it seems that the struct file should have only inversion symmetry, as this and the identity are
the only common elements to the (100), (110) and (111) directions. The only input file that should differ
for the c-axis and planar total energy calculations is case.inso - everything else should be identical, with the exception
Of the WIEN2K-computed Fermi energy in case.in1.

Regarding Sm, one often gets meta-stable states that produce spurious MAE results on the order of hundreds
Of meV per unit cell.  If your energy difference is this large it is nearly certain to be a spurious (untrue) result.
To deal with these one must play around with the density matrix - one way that sometimes
works is to take the density matrix from the lowest energy direction and substitute into the
metastable configuration.

Good luck - David Parker