[Wien] Augmented Plane Wave

Xavier Rocquefelte xavier.rocquefelte at univ-rennes1.fr
Fri Mar 22 06:59:30 CET 2019

Dear Pablo,

My understanding is that you have a mixed basis set, with plane wave
outside the atomic spheres which are augmented by atomic functions
inside the sphere. You have a good explanation in the David Singh book
but also in the WIEN2k userguide I believe.

Best Regards,

Xavier

Le 22/03/2019 à 02:49, delamora a écrit :
> Dear Wien users,
> I have a question about the name of
> "Augmented Plane Wave"
> I had the idea that when the wave enters the Muffin Tin sphere the
> amplitude of the wave increased.
> Trying to see this I found that when a wave crosses a step function,
> https://quantummechanics.ucsd.edu/ph130a/130_notes/node149.html
> When the incoming wave
> exp(ikx)
> reaches an upwards step function there is a reflected wave
> R exp(-ikx)
> and a transmitted wave
> T exp(ik'x)
> what this article shows is;
> 1 + R = T
> That is, the amplitudes of the incoming wave and the reflected wave
> add to the amplitude of the transmitted wave
> If I take this into a square well then I would understand that the
> waves inside the well have the total amplitude equal to the incoming
> and transmitted wave. That is, when the wave enters the Muffin Tin the
> amplitude of wave is not AUGMENTED. So why is this method called
> "Augmented Plane Wave"?
>
> Saludos
>
> Pablo

Institut des Sciences Chimiques de Rennes (ISCR)
Univ Rennes - CNRS - UMR6226, France
https://iscr.univ-rennes1.fr/cti/people/permanent-staff/rocquefelte-xavier
ICAMM2019 : VASP Workshop and International Materials Modelling Conf
June 26-July 3 2019, Rennes France
icamm2019.sciencesconf.org  : Registration opening soon, see you there!