[Wien] Open core treatment for 4f insulators

Abhijit B K bk.abhijit1 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 14:34:13 CET 2019

Dear Wien2k users,

I am a beginner for WIEN2k or any kind of DFT calculations. I am trying to
follow the formalism by Pavel Novak to calculate the *crystal field
parameters* of a rare earth oxide insulator. I am stuck in the first step
i.e *open core treatment*. I follow all the steps mentioned in the manual
as well as FAQ and I don't sift the k-mesh. What I see in the .scf
file is *metallic
behavior instead of insulator. *i.e

:GAP (global)   :    0.0    Ry =     0.0   eV (metal)
I understand this as a product  of screening.

Can someone suggest some ways to achieve a* non zero gap*?
I wouldn't want to use LDA+U.

Best wishes,

Abhijit