[Wien] Open core treatment for 4f insulators

Laurence Marks laurence.marks at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 14:55:09 CET 2019

Open core puts the 4f into the core as spherically symmetric wavefunctions
(with spin orbit). Therefore it will get you a reference state, but it will
not give you the crystal field splitting.

To get the splitting you have to use LDA+U (which I don't trust for 4f) or
on-site hybrid (better).

N.B.,
1) Has your calculation converged?
2) Did you correctly alter the number of atoms -- i.e. grep :NEC *.scf?
3) Are you running spin polarized with correct case.incup/dn (which does
not seem to be described in the FAQ)? I would not trust a non spin
polarized calculation much.
4) Have you run a number of other cases first to learn? This is not
trivial, I would suggest running more than TiC first, for instance NiO and
some others.

_____
Professor Laurence Marks
else has thought", Albert Szent-Gyorgi