[Wien] Band structure sensitivity to RMT reduction

Oleg Rubel rubelo at mcmaster.ca
Tue Nov 5 17:27:15 CET 2019

Dear Wien2k Community,

I compute the band structure of TaAs. The steps are set in the tutorial
file "TaAs topological.pdf" available via the download link below. In
the tutorial, I recommended a 3% RMT reduction even though the
structural relaxation is not intended. With this settings, it is
possible to get the band structure (see file "with-SOC.pdf"), which is
very similar to the literature.

However, if the RMT redirection is skipped during initialization (RMT
redirection = 0), the band structure transforms drastically (see file
"with-SOC.pdf"). It seems that the value of the gap between spheres is
not important. It is important to have it (even 0.5% is OK).
Interestingly, the presence of a gap between MT spheres affects the band
structure only when SOC is present. The band structure is _not_
sensitive to the presence of a gap between MT spheres without SOC (see
file "without-SOC.pdf").

As far as I understand, the wave function is continuous in the value and
slope at the interface between MT region and the interstitial (plane
wave) region. Perhaps, this condition is not fulfilled in the point
where two MT spheres touch each other? What I do not understand is why
it has such profound consequences only with SOC? Any thought will be
appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards
Oleg

Files download link (avalable for 7 days):
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/eabd33ab1535992fd1a610b8423aaf9420191105154634/71ff8dc7d5840ed6b1c9703135c1cb8420191105154634/44d984

--
Oleg Rubel (PhD, PEng)
McMaster University