[Wien] pdos for restricted k-range or in restricted space

Oleg Rubel rubelo at mcmaster.ca
Sun Sep 1 04:36:12 CEST 2019

Dear All:

I would like to propose steps to produce PDOS on a k path without
programming, but with some caveats:
- Gaussian broadening is used instead of the tetrahedron mesh;
- Weights are arbitrary, therefore the DOS scale is also arbitrary.

1) Run normal SCF (I did it for Si) and get PDOS on a regular mesh (see
attached Si-DOS.png).

2) Save the calculation
	$ save_lapw -d SCF

3) Lunch xcrysden, select k path (e.g., G-L) with 300 intermediate
points and save as Si.klist_band
Actually it produced 301 points, which will be important later.

4) Get eigenvalues and projections for the k points on the path:
	$ x lapw1 -band
	$ x lapw2 -band -qtl

5) In wien2web > Tasks > DOS
Configure Si.int file with "total 1 tot,s,p"

6) Edit Si.int (Energy ranges, Gaussian broadening, and magnitude of the
broadening):
Si             #Title
-1 0.002 1 0.003   #Emin, DE, Emax, Gauss-Broad
   4   G   0.003                 #Number of DOS-cases,G/L/B broadening (Ry)
      0 1 total-DOS
      1 1 tot-Si1
      1 2 s-Si1
      1 3 p-Si1
SUM: 0 2          # NUMBER OF SUMMATIONS, max-nr-of summands
2 5               # this sums dos-cases 2+5 from the input above

7) Copy k list (Gaussian broadening needs Si.klist)
	$ cp Si.klist_band Si.klist

8) Unfortunately, xcrysden produces k list file that is not compatible
with the fixed formal (50x,f5.1) used in Wien2k to read weight. To fix
this we need to displace the weights column such that the decimal point
is at position 54. Hints how to do it with vim editor are here
(http://vim.1045645.n5.nabble.com/Shift-column-right-by-spaces-td5162953.html).
There is a sample of the Si.klist file after editing:
GAMMA         0    0    0  600                      2.0 -8.00 8.00
               1    1   -1  600                      2.0
               2    2   -2  600                      2.0

9) Edit Si.kgen (change number of k-points to 301, which is in the first
line). Position the number keeping in mind that the file might require
to maintain a fixed format:
        301        76  3.255208333333E-04       101         1

10) Now we can run
	$ x tetra
and use standard plotting tools for PDOS.
The plot is attached Si-DOS-gaussian-301kpts-path-G-L.png

Note: We should keep in mind that the scale "DOS (States/eV)" has an
arbitrary factor related to an uncertainty in the weights of k-points.
You can also note that the total DOS in Si-DOS.png is less in magnitude
than in Si-DOS-gaussian-301kpts-path-G-L.png, which in unphysical and
related to the arbitrariness of weights. Since those k points are not a
subset of the regular mesh, I do not think there is a way to determine
their weights properly. Nevertheless, qualitatively the picture should
be correct.

Any additional though are welcome :)

Best regards
Oleg