[Wien] Using option Qsplit=6 in qtl to rotate to get t2g and eg

Wasim Raja Mondal wasimr.mondal at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 07:30:47 CEST 2020

Below, here is my case.inq file

-9.0   3.0           Emin  Emax

  10                 number of atoms

   1   4  0  2       iatom,qsplit,symmetrize,locrot

3   0  1  2          nL, l-values

    0.1 0.2 0.3

    0.20 -0.3 0.4

   2   4  0  2       iatom,qsplit,symmetrize,locrot

3   0  1  2          nL, l-values

   -0.1 -0.30 0.40

    0.20 -0.30 0.10

   3   4  0  1       iatom,qsplit,symmetrize,locrot

3   0  1  2          nL, l-values

    0.1 0.22 -0.1

   4   4  0  2       iatom,qsplit,symmetrize,locrot

3   0  1  2          nL, l-values

      0.10 0.3 0.2

      0.4  0.3 -0.1

   5  -2  0  0       iatom,qsplit,symmetrize,locrot

2   0  1             nL, l-values

   6  -2  0  0       iatom,qsplit,symmetrize,locrot

2   0  1             nL, l-values

   7  -2  0  0       iatom,qsplit,symmetrize,locrot

2   0  1             nL, l-values

   8  -2  0  0       iatom,qsplit,symmetrize,locrot

2   0  1             nL, l-values

   9  -2  0  0       iatom,qsplit,symmetrize,locrot

2   0  1             nL, l-values

  10  -2  0  0       iatom,qsplit,symmetrize,locrot

2   0  1             nL, l-values

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 1:26 AM Wasim Raja Mondal <wasimr.mondal at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>
> For that, I tried in case.inq file different new z and x axis. But I am
> not getting the DOS as reported in the Fig 5 of the paper (link I provided.)
>
> I know I should not ask this type of question here. But I am struggling
> bit for many days with this structure. My question is : starting with cif
> file , running LAPW, calculating DOS using qtl with option 4, what new z
> and x axis should I define in case.inq file to reproduce the LDA dos for
> this structure. It is just simple LDA calculation.
>

> Please let me know if you find with just one look.
>

> Thanks
> Wasim
>
> On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 1:13 AM Gavin Abo <gsabo at crimson.ua.edu> wrote:
>
>> Ok, I think I understand now, in FIG. 1 of [1] the eg\sigma appears to be
>> the high energy band while eg\pi the low energy band in the energy diagram.
>>
>> In FIG. 5 of the reference [2] that you provided, I see eg\sigma peaks at
>> high energy (i.e., at about 2 to 4 eV) while the eg\pi is at low energy
>> (i.e., about -1 to 1 eV) in the DOS plot.
>>
>> Thus, I think you will need to plot both (d-xy,dx2-y2) and (d-xz,dyz),
>> then you can probably identify which is eg\pi and which is eg\sigma by
>> looking at the DOS plot.
>>
>> Based on Figure 4.2 in [3], (d-xy,dx2-y2) might be eg\sigma while
>> (d-xz,dyz) the eg\pi.
>> [1] https://arxiv.org/abs/1502.04555v1
>> [2] https://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0402133v1 ,
>> https://journals.aps.org/prb/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevB.70.205116
>> [3] http://ikee.lib.auth.gr/record/129214/files/GRI-2012-8671.pdf
>>
>> On 4/4/2020 9:29 PM, Wasim Raja Mondal wrote:
>>
>> Dear Gavin,
>>                    I am trying to reproduce simple LDA DOS as reported in
>> Fig 5 of this paper.
>> https://journals.aps.org/prb/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevB.70.205116
>>

>> I am really struggling. If you can do, please let me know.
>>

>> Thanking you in advance
>> Wasim
>>
>> On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 10:58 PM Gavin Abo <gsabo at crimson.ua.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> According to [1], corundum has point group D3d in Schoenflies notation.
>>>
>>> Character Tables at [2,3] have for D3d:
>>>
>>> A1g with x2 + y2, z2 in quadratic notation
>>>
>>> Eg with (x2 − y2, xy), (xz, yz) in quadratic notation
>>>
>>> Prof. Blaha at [4] mentioned that with ISPLIT=4, the header of case.qtl
>>> is expected to give:
>>> s,p,pz,pxy,d,d-z2,(d-xy,dx2-y2),(d-xz,dyz),f
>>>
>>> Therefore, it looks like A1g is given as d-z2 and Eg is give as
>>> (d-xy,dx2-y2) and (d-xz,dyz).
>>>
>>> At [3], if you click the "Click here to get more detailed information on
>>> they symmetry operations" link on the webpage, it gives another webpage
>>> with another table having a "Matrix form" column that seems to correspond
>>> to the transformation matrices (Identity, Inverse, Rotations, etc. [5])
>>> used create the character table [8,9].
>>>
>>> It is not clear to me what you mean by pi and sigma. Is pi for example
>>> when two d-xz orbitals overlap such as that in the image of [6,7]?
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_character_tables_for_chemically_important_3D_point_groups#Antiprismatic_groups_(Dnd)
>>> [3]
>>> https://www.cryst.ehu.es/cgi-bin/rep/programs/sam/point.py?sg=162&num=20
>>> [4]