[Wien] How to determine the exchange splitting in metals ?

Fecher, Gerhard fecher at uni-mainz.de
Fri Apr 24 12:25:40 CEST 2020

maybe use irrep to see how much the bands at the Gamma point are splitted between up and down
(single k-point no shift of BZ before calculating lapw1 -up, -dn; but be carefull which states at Gamma you compare)
Note the splitting depends on k, what you easily see from the bands, therfore a comparison of the bands mmight not be very helpful.

the mean or state resolved splittings may also be calculated by the difference in the band energies for up and down states, that is
 integral n(E)up * E dE   -   integral n(E)down * E dE
where the integrals run over all occupied states of the valence bands, or you use only particular states, e.g. all d pr eg, or t2g only.
(Note the sum is the overall band energy, that you may compare to that of the paramagnetic state, if you wish to do for whatever reason)

Ciao
Gerhard

Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher
Johannes Gutenberg - University