[Wien] Simultaeneous optimization of atomic coordinates with lattice parameters

Laurence Marks laurence.marks at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 15:23:27 CEST 2020

I have an impression that you have asked before about optimization, in fact
many times!

A question you should ask yourself is what are you trying to achieve? DFT
is not a perfect theory, and while you can improve the agreement with
experiment using better (and slower) methods, in general experiment is more
accurate.

If your calculations are close to experiment, e.g. atoms at positions maybe
0.01 Angers off, that is all you can expect.

If, for instance, the positions are 0.1 Angers off, and/or it is a metal
whereas in experiment it is an insulator, then something is very wrong. No
amount of lattice optimization is going to help.

So, my question to you is are you killing defenseless electrons in a quest
to overfit data, or is there a reason?

_____
Professor Laurence Marks
else has thought", Albert Szent-Gyorgi