[Wien] Is calculating the chemical shielding (orbital part) in paramagnetic system using x_nmr_lapw available ? x_nmr_lapw? lapwdm? DIPAN?

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Jan 27 20:19:18 CET 2020

You need to be carefully, what you mean by "paramagnetic system".

Most metals, even ths which never show any kind of magnetic order are
paramagnetic (in the sence that an external field gets enhanced in the
solid). Such systems you would do using x_nmr + Knight shift (+ dipol
contr.)

Some metals are at low temperatures in an ordered magnetic phase. Above
Tc or Tn the are also called paramagnets. However, there is a
fundamental difference between such systems, because even above Tn or Tc
local moments exist, but they are disorded.
In a first approximation we would simply ignore the fact that we are
above Tc and calculate the ordered phase. In such cases you can use
lapwdm, because the internal field (even without external field) is much
larger than the induced one due to an external one.
A better way would be to introduce a supercell and use a "disordered
moment model", where you randomly distribute spin-up and dn moments such
that the total moment is zero.

And the last question:   The dipolar field from lapwdm is coming from
the spin-density within the atomic sphere only.
Theinduced field from external moments is calculated by dipan.