[Wien] cleaning up scratch dir

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Jul 23 16:47:46 CEST 2020

It is the expected behaviour.

Of course, it would be easy to remove such files on the local SCHRATCH
directory. However, in many cases you may run such calculations on
different nodes (and thus different local scratch directories), while
eg. on the frontend, where you "clean", there are no such files anyway.

If you are running only "locally" (eg. on your own PC), there is hardly
any benefit of using a SCRATCH directory and I would set it to "./".

Thus at least "in general", there is no way one can clean the actually
used scratch, because you may not know on which machine the calculations
were done.

PS: We have a cron-job on all our nodes, which deletes automatically all
files older than 4 weeks on scratch (find command).

Regards