[Wien] Volume has changed during running optimization of c/a with constant volume & b/a

Fecher, Gerhard fecher at uni-mainz.de
Sat Jun 13 09:54:18 CEST 2020

In the scf file you find the volume:

       LATTICE                      = B
:POT  : POTENTIAL OPTION EX_PBE EC_PBE VX_PBE VC_PBE
:LAT  : LATTICE CONSTANTS= 11.31946 11.79152 16.06778    1.571    1.571    1.571
:VOL  : UNIT CELL VOLUME =    1072.31280

and 11.31946 * 11.79152 * 16.06778 / 2 = 1072.312797243878022456

so what is the problem, beside the rounding  ?

By the way, what you are doing is "searching for a local minimum" but not an "optimization"!

You have to find the absolute (!) energy minimum in the a, b, c space
In yourprocedure it might depend on which "minimum energy search" you use to start, and on the series of seraches.
You can not expect a priori that only one minimum exists in the range
a +- Delta a, b +- Delta b, c +- Delta c
and yo might end up in a "wrong" local minimum.

Further, your structure has free position parameters,
therefore, you have to optimize the positions TOGETHER with the lattice parameters,
obviously you did not do that, the positions are equal in both files ?

For completeness:
The "Volume optimization" alone has only a physical meaning for cubic systems
(or spherical as most of the equations of states are for the pressure-volume relation inside earth,
I wonder how they would look like if the earth was a disk, ... or maybe it is ;-).

Ciao
Gerhard

Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher
Johannes Gutenberg - University