[Wien] Structure relaxation for WO3 with atomic insertion

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Jun 15 13:20:56 CEST 2020

As was mentioned before:

For cubic, all your atoms are on high symmetry positions with (by
symmetry) fixed positions. (It is like a NaCl structure). The code tells
you: Forces are not present and there is nothing to optimize.

So all you can do with this symmetry is a volume optimization, or you
displace the atoms a bit from these high symetry positions, to allow for
lower symmetry which gives forces and positions which can be optimized.

What I would do:

Cubic:
init -b -numk 100 -rkmax 6
x optimize
edit optimize.job and increase convergence to -ec 0.00001
./optimize.job
eplot -a default

Evenutally you have to repeat  x optimize in case that the minimum was
not in the selected range.
This gives you a first estimate of the volume. The calculations are not
well converged (k-mesh, RMT, rkmax), but it should suffice to give an
estimate where approximately the minimum is. For the structure closest
to the minimum run
x nn      and check the "Bond valence sum (BVS). These numbers should be
close to chemical intuition (Li +1, O 2-,..)

Other symmetries:
init -b -numk 100 -rkmax 6
x optimize   and always do a VOLUME optimization first, option1)
edit optimize.job and activate optimization of internal positions
SIMULTANEOSLY for each volume:  Change the run_lapw  line and add
-min -fc 1  (this is listed after the comment symbol (#) anyway.

If you want, you can then do a c/a optimization for the best volume.

Check all BVS for the relaxed structures.

Once you have a crude minimum for all 3 structures, start over with the
minimum structures and
choose ONE (consistent) set of RMTs for all structures
initialize with "better parameters" (k-mesh, RKmax)
Do again  x optimize  (including -min for the non-cubic structures)

and compare these minimum with the previous (crude) solution (it should
change only little) and compare the energies of the structures.

PS: If during the first optimization a nn-overlap, no reasonable step
error occurs, use   reduce_rmt to reduce the RMTs and continue.