[Wien] confusion with GGA+U and mbj

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Mar 8 11:40:47 CET 2020

It really depends on the specific example if you need to be carefully
with the starting point, since both, LDA+U and mBJ can give multiple
solutions in certain cases.

Eg: MnO or NiO do not require any special care. The dominant cubic
crystal field is sufficient to drive the correct solution and both,
GGA+U and mBJ will give only one solution, independent on the starting
conditions.

Very different is eg. FeO: Both, GGA+U and in particular mBJ will NOT
give a band gap when started with plain GGA (and probably also not when
starting from scratch using atomic densities ??)

An analysis of the partial Fe-DOS is necessary, followed with a
reoccupation of the density matrix by hand to occupy the proper single
orbital. Using this starting dmat-files, GGA+U gives an insulator (and
this solution should have lower energy - depending on U). Continuation
with mBJ from such a solution, also gives a nice band gap.

Analyse your partial TM-d state DOS !