[Wien] Using option Qsplit=6 in qtl to rotate to get t2g and eg

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Mar 26 08:59:02 CET 2020

Wien2k will automatically calculate the symmetry related splitting of
the d-states.

Example 1: Octahedral (cubic) symmetry:  WIEN2k sets ISPLIT=2 in
case.struct during initialization. This symmetry was detected by x
symmetry and you can find the proper point group of your atoms in
case.outputs.
Because of the ISPLIT=2, when you run   x lapw2 -qtl, the case.qtl file
will automatically contain for an atom with eg. Oh symmetry:
s,p,d,d-eg,d-t2g,f

Please look at the header of case.qtl, where it tells you the
decomposition of the states

Example 2.: hexagonal symmetry (as in hcp Zn,Be or Mg) In case.outputs
you find:
pointgroup is -6m2, leading to ISPLIT=4 (see UG for definitions of ISPLIT)
and the header of case.qtl givs:
s,p,pz,pxy,d,d-z2,(d-xy,dx2-y2),(d-xz,dyz),f
So the p-states have been automatically splitted into pz and px+py,
while the 5 dstates are splitted into 3 groups, one 1-dimensional and 2
2-dimensional irreducible representations. Wien2k does not give you the
"label" of the irrep (like A1g or Eg) as you are looking for, but use a
good "group-theory character table" for pointgroup -6m2 and you will
find the "name of the representation" (A1g,..) and the corresponding
"basis functions" (z, x+y; z**2, xz,xz, ..) so that you can make the
corresponding asignment between or splitted partial charges and the
"labels".

More complicated is the calculation of "approximate symmetries" (like
eg-t2g) in a distorted octahedron), because in that case WIEN2k cannot
do it automatically for you, but you can combine the single orbitals in
the PROPER coordinate system yourself. In this case the x qtl program
can be useful since it allows to calculate the PDOS in a rotated
coordinate frame pointing into your "approximate octahedron".

PS: In corundum structure, usually it also has ISPLIT=4 and the d-z2
orbital corresponds to A1g....