[Wien] consistent RKmax and sphere size settings

Laurence Marks laurence.marks at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 22:33:31 CEST 2021

Have a look at http://www.wien2k.at/reg_user/faq/rkmax.html. If (say) with
an RMT for the N of 1.6 a RKMAX of 6.5 is good enough, then when you reduce
the RMT to 1.3 you can reduce the RKMAX to 6.5*1.3/1.6 = 5.28. This will
not give you precisely the same relative convergence, but is close.

Another way is to say that an RKMAX of 7 is "OK" for RMTs of 2.0, an RKMAX
of 3 for RMTs of 0.5, then interpolate using a straight line. This is
similar.

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 3:24 PM Pavel Ondračka <pavel.ondracka at email.cz>
wrote:

> Dear Wien2k mailing list,
>
> I have a series of TiN and TiON amorphous-like structures where I have
> some large differences in spheres sizes for N atoms. In most of the
> structures the smallest N sphere is around 1.6-1.7, however in some I
> have few N atoms with 1.3 (the structures should be OK, this much
> smaller size is due to some rare local configuration which would
> correspond to something like N split interstitial in crystalline
> structure).
>
> My goal is to calculate core electron binding energies of N1s levels of
> many atoms in the structures (at least 200 core-hole calculations) and
> I need to be consistent over different structures in the series.
>
> So usually I would just check what is the smallest N sphere size in the
> whole set, and force it for all N atoms in all structures and than use
> the identical RKmax for all structures, just to be sure I'm consistent.
> This is unfortunatelly not very efficient with respect to the
> calculation speed as I have quite large cells (around 150 atoms). Is
> there another way how can I save some CPU time and keep the
> consistency?
>
> I was for example thinking if I can force somehow two different N
> sphere sizes (one for the N split intestitial, which I have usually
> just one in the whole cell and one larger for the rest of N atoms),
> than I would have consistent sphere size for the rest of N atoms in the
> series and I could change the RKmax to keep the same largest K-vector
> which should be enough to guarantee consistency for all N atoms expect
> the split interstitials (but I don't care that much about them).
> However as far as I understand this is not possible?
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Best regards
> Pavel Ondracka

Professor Laurence Marks