[Wien] consistent RKmax and sphere size settings

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Apr 8 08:03:55 CEST 2021

Three comments:

RMT consistency is in particular important for total energies. If you
compare the energy of 2 phases and their energy difference is just a few
mRy, make sure you really have consistent RMTs and RKmax. Since the
scaling with RKmax is not perfect, it might be wrong enough to lead to a
wrong ground state (in particular when you are using a rather low RKmax
value - with a fully converged RKmax the RMT dependency is reduced
(except for possible core leakage !)

You mentioned core level shifts. This is something you simply have to
test yourself. My expectation is, that it is NOT very crucial, as long
as you have at least "similar" convergence. Calculate the core level
shifts for one compound with large and small RMT and compare the
results. If they are the same within acceptable errors, you can forget
RMT problems for this property.
I'd expect that this should be general enough except when you have a
very exotic compound.

lmax is uncritical, but for larger spheres lvns may have a larger
influence as well as linearization errors (HDLOs for d or f electrons
and large spheres), while GMAX may also be important for small spheres.