[Wien] parallel instalation of Wien2k: elpa, fftw

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Jul 9 23:10:18 CEST 2021

> after a year, I am returning to this thread, because I highly need
> optimized wien2k, capable of treating very large systems.
>
> a) For parallel installation, is IntelMPI better than an  OpenMPI built
> with  Intel ?

The default parameters of wien2k work with intel-mpi, for open-mpi you
need to adapt the mkl-blacks library. And openmpi should be properly
installed.

> b) Is ELPA needed for fast parallel Wien2K ? There is already MKL.
One can use only Scalapack, which is in the mkl. However, the ELPA
libraries are significantly faster. So I highly recommend them.

> c) Parallel FFTW3 is a must, right ?

Yes.

In any case, the mpi version needs the corresponding hardware with fast
network (infiniband) or at least a good multicore cpu.