[Wien] Confusion regarding AFM structure of a spinel compound

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Jul 19 11:17:20 CEST 2021

>                    I am working on a frustrated AFM ordering in which
> both the atom with spin up & spin down remains at the octahedral site. I
> have simulated the same structure with U=4 eV & which works well.
> However, when I shifted to U=6 eV the structure showed AFM during
> structure optimization while the magnetic moment didn't cancel when I go
> for an SCF with the optimized structure.

When you do "structure optimization  (whatever you actually mean by that
... ?)" you actually do for sure a scf calculation also for the
optimized structure. So it seems to work....

You did not explain what you have done at: "I go for an SCF with the
optimized structure".
Apparently here you have done something which breaks AFM (it is easy to
get some arbitrary magnetic state in DFT+U when one is not careful with
dmat* or vorb* files)..