[Wien] Non-degenerate dxy, dyz and dxz PDOS in cubic perovskite

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Jan 3 17:39:39 CET 2022

We are using a k-mesh consisting of points only in the irreducible part
of the BZ (IBZ). Therefore this set of k-points does not contain the
full cubic symmetry, but a symmetrization is necessary.

This is done automatically in lapw2, and thus you should use   x lapw2
-qtl  to produce the properly symmetrized partial charges + PDOS.
You will see, that lapw2 produces only a eg and t2g PDOS, since they
correspond to the 2 irreducible representations for d-states in cubic
symmetry. If you want eg. the d-z2 PDOS (which does not really make
sense, since this is not a irreducible representation), it is simply 1/2
of the eg-PDOS.

If you want to use the qtl program, you have to do this symmetrization
yourself. Add up the d-z2 and d-x2-y2PDOS and you get the eg-PDOS. Only
the sum is meaningful, not the individual contributions.

If you don't believe me, just create a k-mesh in the full-BZ  (x kgen
-fbz). after x lapw1; x qtl can now produce qtls (and PDOS) which
fulfills your expectations. But of course, the computer time is ~20
times bigger and the results are identical to the symmetrized ones.