[Wien] amorphous binary rare-earth transition metal alloys

Gavin Abo gabo13279 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 07:26:24 CET 2022

*Short answer*

The WIEN2k webpage has the sentence [1]:

/The linearized augmented plane wave (LAPW) method is among the most
accurate methods for performing electronic *structure calculations for
crystals*./

Amorphous is defined in [2] as non-crystalline and in [3] it means
"shapeless" and defined an arrangement of particles that do not form
crystals.  Thus, a strict definition of *amorphous is not a crystal*.

Under this strict definition the calculation would not be possible.
WIEN2k requires you to provide a crystal structure with a periodic
arrangement using lattice parameters and atomic positions (e.g.
StructGen).  A completely amorphous material would be a non-periodic
arrangement with randomly positioned atomic positions such that there
would no lattice parameters.

*Long answer*

Directly quoting [4] that uses a less strict definition of amorphous
which states:

/It is often said that amorphous materials have no structure. This is
not strictly true.../

As described by [5], amorphous is not all the way random and has some order.

With WIEN2k, multiple supercell calculations and averaging can be used
for an amorphous solid but it can be expected to be computational
expensive.  Thus, it is only be possible if you have the computational
resources for the computation.  This is paraphrased from the following
cited references which you can look to for more information:

At [6], it has ... /average over all inequivalent occupations of the
sites but this may need large number of calculations for large
supercells/...

Link [7] has ... /you can also make an averaging over few calculations
of few different unit cells/ ....

Per [8], ... /An alloy is DISORDERED and you need to simulate that by
some random distribution of the atoms in a supercell which should be as
large as possible./

Within section I. INTRODUCTION in [9] there is: /... the WIEN2k code is
an example of the latter. We represent the solid by a unit cell, which
is repeated in all three directions, corresponding to periodic boundary
conditions. This assumes that the solid is perfect, ordered, and
infinite; however, a real crystal differs from this ideal situation,
since it is finite, may contain defects or impurities, and may deviate
from its ideal stoichiometry. For these important aspects and how to
handle them using supercells, see Chap. 8.2 of Ref. 4./

While [10] has: /One needs to use larger supercells and either a
"quasi-random structure" or at least test a couple of arrangements of
your impurities (more nearest-neigbors or far away, ...)/

A reference for quasi-random structure is [11].

There is other literature that may be of interest to you such as
[12,13], "Monte Carlo study of magnetic structures in rare-earth
amorphous alloys/"/ by A. Bondarev et. al. [14], "Recent Developments in
Computer Modeling of Amorphous Materials" by D. A. Brabold et. al. [15],
and "Materials modeling by design: applications to amorphous solids" by
P. Biswas et. al. [16].

[1] http://susi.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/lapw/index.html
[2] Slide 9:
https://www.feis.unesp.br/Home/departamentos/engenhariamecanica/maprotec/5aula_cme.pdf
[3] https://www.ck12.org/chemistry/solid/lesson/Solids-MS-PS/
       - Of note, "amorphous" is Greek for "without shape":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amorphous_solid
[4] http://pd.chem.ucl.ac.uk/pdnn/diff1/recip.htm
[5] https://www.doitpoms.ac.uk/tlplib/atomic-scale-structure/intro.php
[6]