[Wien] Temperature

Laurence Marks laurence.marks at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 19:17:29 CEST 2022

If you use TEMPS you will include the Fermi-Dirac distribution. It is
called the Mermin functional [1]. If the band gap is small enough or you
have dopants the Fermi energy is correct, although the effect can be small.
For numerical reasons the position of the Fermi energy can be too low for a
larger gap without dopants.

[1] N. D. Mermin, “Thermal properties of the inhomogenous electron gas,”
Phys. Rev., 137, A: 1441 (1965). 2, 11

--
Professor Laurence Marks
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Northwestern University