[Wien] Temperature

Fecher, Gerhard fecher at uni-mainz.de
Tue Jul 5 09:05:19 CEST 2022

Dear Brik,
What do you mean with "I know there is no semiconductor at 0 kelvin" ?

In general, every semiconductor is an insulator, that is, these are materials with a band gap just above the Fermi energy (highest occuoied state at 0K).
The size of the band gap is used to distinguish semiconductors (small gap) and insulators (large gap). However, the terms "small" and "large" are fuzzy and one cannot give just one value that defines a border.

At elevated temperatures electrons are excited into the conduction band and the material  is able to carry a (small) electric current that depends exponetially on Temperature and band gap.
The larger the band gap the higher the temperature needed to detect that current.

Depending on some strange point of views you could also say "I know that all metals are at Zero temperature either insulators or superconductors or both at once",
but I don't think that this is a good idea.

Ciao
Gerhard

Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher
Institut of Physics