[Wien] Ab inition and DFT

pboulet pascal.boulet at univ-amu.fr
Thu Jul 7 16:34:29 CEST 2022

Hello,

Maybe the difference you are referring to is that between what theoretical chemist consider as "ab initio" and what physicists do.

This was a matter of controversy in the 1990’s, and to me, is more philosophical that physical.

For theoretical chemist, ab initio methods are methods based on the wavefunction, namely Hartee-Fock, and post-Hartree-Fock techniques (e.g., CAS-MCSCF, coupled cluster, CISD, Full-CI). In this sense, DFT is not ab initio as the main ingredient of DFT is the electron density, which is obtained from an approximate description of XC interelectronic interactions.

For physicists DFT is ab initio as the method is grounded on a theorem (HK one) and "starts from scratch".

Final note: for Walter Kohn, DFT is ab initio, not a semi-empirical methods (as many people coming from the community of theoretical chemists used to claim in the 1990’s), but its usage (LDA, GGA,…) is "something else » (if I remember well he said "it is just physics », [of interelectronic interactions]), as it relies on approximations in the XC functionals.

Today, this controversy has been shelved, and everybody, as far as I could see, use indiscernibly DFT or ab initio.

Best,
Pascal