[Wien] A question for the direction of spin dipolar term in knight shift calculations

Peter Blaha peter.blaha at tuwien.ac.at
Tue Jun 21 11:15:40 CEST 2022

In this work it is a calculation without spin-orbit coupling and thus
only the z component can be calculated. There is NO direction of the
external field, except that it is implicitly assumed to be along z.. As
far as I understand, this works for polycrystalline samples.

If you do calculations including spin-orbit, then you can define a
direction of the external magnetic field. I'm not completely sure, but
from what I can see in Pavel Novaks notes, you will get the projection
onto this direction.

Please read P. Novaks notes about   lapwdm (Hyperfine fields) at:
http://www.wien2k.at/reg_user/textbooks/

from Oct. and, updated, Dec. 2006.

Am 21.06.2022 um 09:31 schrieb 王郁欣:
> Dear wien2k users,
> In Laskowski, R., Khoo, K., Haarmann, F., and Blaha, P. (2017),the
> spin dipolar term of hyperfine field only has z component.According to
> this,I have some questions about the calculations of spin dipolar term
> in knight shift:
> 1.In that paper,what is the coordinates for Ga atoms?What is the
> relationship between this z directon and the direction of external
> magnetic field?
> 2.If I apply a external magnetic field which is not along the z
> direction,how can I calculate the hyperfine field?
>   Looking forward to your reply.
> Best wishes,
> Yuxin.

Peter Blaha,  Inst. f. Materials Chemistry, TU Vienna, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: +43-158801165300
Email:peter.blaha at tuwien.ac.at
WWW:http://www.imc.tuwien.ac.at       WIEN2k:http://www.wien2k.at