[Wien] WIEN2k Questions: Volume Optimization and Fermi Surfaces

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed May 11 08:32:48 CEST 2022

> *1*. I performed volume optimization for different exchange
> functionals (GGA and LSDA) and I got different optimized values, which
> is not a surprise for me. My question is: Do I need to perform volume
> optimization again after I add spin-orbit coupling as a second
> variational method to proceed with further calculations?

This depends on your elements. For very heave elements, where SO has a
large effect, it could be necessary to do it again. For lighter elements
it is probably quite unimportant.
> *2*.  I calculate fermi surface, for spin orbit coupling, using the
> following command in my slurm job script to run parallel with:
> *x lapw1 -p
> *
> *x lapwso -p
> x lapw2 -so -p -fermi*
> But when I visualize the fermi surface/s on XCrysden (version 1.6), it
> seems like I am getting fermi surfaces for non-spin-orbit calculations
> only, that is XCrysden is reading data from case.output1. Please
> advise me on how to properly visualize fermi surfaces that are
> generated using the above three commands.

xcrysden always uses     case.output1.  So you have to fake it and    cp
case.outputso case.output1

(assuming non-parallel calc., otherwise you need to concatenate the
*putso_1/2/3.... files into one.

> My system is non-magnetic (so performing non-spin-polarized
> calculations) and the system contains heavy atoms, so I need to
> incorporate spin-orbit coupling in the calculations.
>
> Thank you so much for your advice and time.
>
> Karma, PhD student
> Theory of Condensed Matter Physics
> University of Groningen, Netherlands

Peter Blaha,  Inst. f. Materials Chemistry, TU Vienna, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: +43-158801165300
Email:peter.blaha at tuwien.ac.at
WWW:http://www.imc.tuwien.ac.at       WIEN2k:http://www.wien2k.at