[Wien] fixed spin moment calculation in MSRa1 mode

Laurence Marks laurence.marks at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 16:11:54 CEST 2022

I did a quick test this morning. MSR1a is not fully implimented in
runfsm, but if you want to use it you should:

1) Edit case.inm so it has MSR1a in it
2) Do (for safety) "rm case.in2_fsm case.in2up case.in2dn" (change to
in2c... if it is complex).
3) Edit case.in2 so it has FOR in the first line (not TOT).
4) Run, monitoring yourself as it may not terminate properly -- you
might have to do "touch .stop" yourself, or specify some number of
iterations.

It will minimize the positions for the moment you specify, but of
course this may not be physical. You should run a normal runsp_lapw
afterwards. I will be interested to know if it turns out to be useful
(respond on list or just to me).

N.B., the runfsm command has not been undated, so it does not have
options such as dispersion forces, -hf and probably some others. You
would have to compare the script in runsp_lapw if you want these,
and/or convince Peter Blaha that this is important to have. My
personal view is that runfsm is useful to get to different spin
states, but you have to follow this up with a more normal calculation
as otherwise you can have GIGO.

N.B.,I guess there could be some interesting possibilities where it is
used to generate a perturbation energy or other as a function of spin
by taking numerical derivatives or similar.