[Wien] About Phonon calculations

AJAY SINGH VERMA ajay_phy at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 15 05:58:47 CEST 2022

Dear all,

I want to do phonon calculation to check the dynamical stability of my system. To start the calculation, at first, I have optimized the geometry (in conventional cell). To make a primitive cell of my structure, I used VESTA as an interface to convert my wien2k structure file to POSCAR (VASP) format. This POSCAR file I have used in phonopy to generate primitive cell of my structure. Now I am not able to find any way to convert back this primitive POSCAR file in wien2k format to generate supercell of my structure. Now I have the following querries:

(a) Can I generate primitive cell of my structure directly without going through the above mentioned procedure.

(b) How should I decide q-path (in phonon dispersion spectrum) of my system?

Based on my literature search, to do phonons, I need supercells (generated through primitive cell) of my system. Am I following right procedure or Is there any other way to do phonons in wien2k?

Thanks & regards