[Wien] About Phonon calculations

Peter Blaha peter.blaha at tuwien.ac.at
Thu Sep 15 08:29:24 CEST 2022

You don't need to go through VESTA, .....

I copy the procedure for FCC Si (it is for a student exercise, the
computational parameters like k-points and rkmax are a bit low):

cd ~/WIEN2k; mkdir Si-phonon; cd Si-phonon
makestruct
Si,  F cell,  a=b=c=5.43 Ang, α=β=γ=90°; Si:
(.125,.125,.125);(.875,.875,.875)
setrmt 3%
x supercell  (init.struct, 1x1x1, P-lattice)   	# phonopy can handle only P
cp init_super.struct Si-phonon.struct
edit Si-phonon.struct        		# label all atoms as Si1,2,3,4
init_lapw -b -numk 10 -rkmax 6  		# (batch mode)
phonopy --wien2k -c Si-phonon.struct -d --dim=“2 2 2”
mkdir 1;
cp Si-phonon.structS-001  1/1.struct
cd 1
init_lapw -b -numk 10   -rkmax 6     # (batch mode)
run_lapw -fc 0.02               # (optionally use some parallelization)
cp 1.scf ..
cd ..
phonopy --wien2k -f 1.scf
create band.conf with editor, containing the following information:
ATOM_NAME = Si
DIM = 2 2 2
PRIMITIVE_AXIS = 0.5 0.5 0.0   0.0 0.5 0.5   0.5 0.0 0.5
BAND = 0.5 0.5 0.5   0 0 0  0.5 0 0   0.5 0.5 0   0 0 0
BAND_LABELS = L G  X  K G
BAND_CONNECTION = .TRUE.
phonopy --wien2k -c Si-phonon.struct band.conf –p
save with: phonopy --wien2k -c Si-phonon.struct band.conf –p –s  #(band.pdf)