[Wien] question about applying electric field in wien2k

Laurence Marks laurence.marks at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 11:26:45 CET 2023

With apologies to Peter, I would not say that the options are experimental.

If you are OK with handling Fortran, I suggest that you copy eramps.F then
comment out "subroutine tester" and uncomment "program tester". Then
compile run it.

Be careful that, due to truncation of the Fourier series, the actual
potential used is not, for instance, a true zig-zag but can have ripples.
Some of the other modes (taken from the literature) try to compensate for
this. You can use one of the potential output modes of lapw0 to see what
you really have; best to look at lapw0.F.

N.B., if you are using option 30 I would use atoms at z=0.25 and -0.25, and
a mirror along z. You will need to add slight distortions to avoid Wien2k
reducing the cell. This should be stable to translations along z which
could occur when doing MSR1a (-min) - fixed in the next release.

--
Professor Laurence Marks
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Northwestern University