[Wien] question about applying electric field in wien2k

Peter Blaha peter.blaha at tuwien.ac.at
Thu Jan 5 10:55:29 CET 2023

I suggest you stay with the default mode (the other options are more
experimental) and put IFIELD=30.

This produces for EFELD=1.0 Ry a zig-zag potential along z of 0.5 (for
z=0), -0.5 (for z=0.5) and again 0.5 for z=1.0.

Thus you need to setup a slab with your atoms centered around z=0.25
and a vacuum thick enough so that you do not have atoms close to the
kinks at Z=0 or z=0.5. Also make sure that you do not have inversion
symmetry.

PS: As you noticed, there is a small bug in WIEN2k_21 for the E-field
option and it must be specified in the 5th line ! (Will be fixed in the
new release).

Am 04.01.2023 um 11:54 schrieb Zohreh Alsadat Nourbakhsh:

> Dear Wien2k admins and users
>
> I am using WIEN2k_21.1 on linux mint 21 (MATE 64-bit) mint code for
> apply external electric field to a two dimensional semimetal system.
> Unfortunatly, after following the userguide instructions, it seems
> that external electric has almost no effect on my electronic band
> structure.
>
> I have tried various values of IFIELD paramater (30, 8000, 10000,
> 11000, 12000), but the expected splitting in the band crossing did not
> happen. I also tried a lot to reproduce the calculations in the
> results of the article (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physe.2012.04.017)
> on bilayer graphene, but I failed to observe the reported spliiting
> after applying electric field.
>
> my case.in0 input file for electric filed application:
>
> TOT  XC_PBE     (XC_LDA,XC_PBESOL,XC_WC,XC_MBJ,XC_SCAN)
> NR2V      IFFT      (R2V)
>    18   18  216    2.00  1 NCON 9  # min IFFT-parameters, enhancement
> factor, iprint, NCON n
> 8000 0.3
> 8000 0.3
>
> Your kind help is highly appreciarted.
>
>           Best Regards
>
>           Z.Nourbakhsh

Peter Blaha,  Inst. f. Materials Chemistry, TU Vienna, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: +43-158801165300
Email:peter.blaha at tuwien.ac.at
WWW:http://www.imc.tuwien.ac.at       WIEN2k:http://www.wien2k.at